Hey guys! Today I am sharing one of my favourite sewing projects lately.. a woven version of the Geodesic top by Blueprints For Sewing. I love love love this top and all of its crazy patterns!
Blueprints For Sewing is an amazing little indie sewing pattern company that makes sewing patterns with an architectural influence.. which is kind of a cool idea right? Enter the Geodesic Top... inspired by the Geodesic Dome made up of 6 triangles on the front and again on the back. Its meant to be made from cosy knit fabric and can be cropped or long with pockets.
I had seen the amazing patterns by Blueprints for Sewing before.. but only when i stumbled across a blog post about 'Geodesic Renovation' - explaining how to make the geodesic top out of woven's (instead of knits as the pattern is intended for) did I get really excited about it! How amazing is their woven version?? I immediately needed to make my own!
I had been admiring some amazing Merimekko fabrics in the Bolt of Cloth store for quite some time.. and this seemed the perfect excuse to 'invest' (I can call it that right?) in one of their surprise bundles of Merimekko scraps.
PDF pattern printed and cut out, and fabrics in tow, I spent a weekend away at the family bach playing around with patterns and groupings, and finally carefully cut out my chosen pieces.
The pattern instructions have really good tips on how to adjust for a bigger or smaller bust, but I decided to leave it as is - even though technically I would usually be a D cup* instead of a B which the pattern is drafted for. (*D cup would be the bra size I would usually wear but if I use the calculator to figure it out it ends up to be C - which in real life is too small for me.. so I don't know how that works.. suggestions welcome!)
All I really did is to ensure that the finished garment measurements were going to be large enough to work without needing stretch fabric! As per the Blueprints woven version, I kept the sleeves short and folded up the cuffs, and left off the hem at the bottom. For the neckline I scooped it out ever so slightly more, and created my own bias binding to use - which was really simple and effective.
At the very end after trying on for fit I decided that I could bring it in ever so carefully at the base of the two front triangles so that it didn't gape out at the bottom (and only on the front, I liked the back how it was already). And then simple hemmed and I was done!
As you can probably see.. i am just a tiny bit stoked at how this turned out - and I even drafted and made a high waisted knit skirt especially to go with it! (Ill probably be making a few more of these skirts too.. since they are so comfy and easy to wear). Photo splurge below... :)
Thanks for reading.. I have so much excitement over this top.. I hope you guys liked it too! I have another Blueprints pattern cut out and ready to go - the A-Frame Skirt.. so I am hoping that I will enjoy this pattern just as much!