Hey guys! Today I am sharing with you one of my most favourite pattern hacks - the Tilly and the Buttons Bettine Dress made into skirt & tee separates that you can mix and match!
This was a very simple pattern hack - I simply made up the skirt as per the pattern and then followed the following steps to create a nice thick elastic waist band with cord - instead of attaching the bodice.
To make the waist band - first cut two nice thick waist band pieces (x2 thickness of your elastic + an added seam allowance and a little extra for room to move). Sew the side seams together. Fold and press so you have a middle line.
Then open it out, and sew x2 button holes at the centre front (between the fold line and one edge), it doesn't matter how big they are as long as your cord can fit through easily!
Then sew the opened out waist band to the top of your skirt, right sides together.. and with the button holes at the top, closest to the seam and at the front centre. Fold your waist band up and over. Press the seam you have just created UP. Tuck in the raw edge of your waist band under and pin in place on top of your seam. Press again.
Then carefully top stitch in place (on the good side of your fabric) leaving the pins in place to hold fabric where you want it to be on the inside.. remembering to leave a hole at one side to thread your elastic through!
Thread the elastic through with the help of a safety pin, and then sew your remaining top stitch. Then create two lines of stitching above and below the button holes to hold your elastic and cord in place (you can stop it at the pocket like I have done or where ever else you like!) making sure to back stitch when you start and stop stitching. You'll have to stretch out the elastic as you go to make this work.
The finished product below:
I made three different tees to go with my Bettine skirt. One is a woven chambray with the sleeve tabs and buttons, and another two out of cotton knit (without the sleeve tabs).
The tees were made up as per the pattern bodice. I simple lengthened it and added a curved hem, and instead of the cuff pieces I just folded up the sleeves, and stitched the seams down which was super quick and easy. I also sewed the neck facing down - as the knit fabric tends to curl a lot - so it was needed! But i quite like that row of stitching as a feature anyway :)
See below for a photos :)
Thanks for reading! I hope the tutorial was useful :)