Hey guys, this is one of the very first projects I made - The Turia Dungarees by Pauline Alice Patterns! How could you not want a pair of these? Perfect for beach adventures, but also amazing with tights and boots in winter.
I ended up making a DIY skirt/pinafore version of View B, as I thought I might get away with wearing them more often. And I have! They have been a good staple of my wardrobe - and I have even gotten away with wearing them to work!
To be super thrifty, I had found an old vintage skirt of my mothers (which was incredibly tiny, and neither her or I could fit into it) - but it had plenty of tiny pleats and was quite long so ideal to cut up and reuse the fabric.
I turned the fabric inside out - what was the outside was an acid wash denim look, but the inside was a really nice mid blue denim with pinstripes, so it looked completely different when I was finished with it.
Here's what I did for my pattern hack:
- First I folded back/cut off the shorts part
- Either add a seam allowance if you want to cut in separate parts (how I've done mine)
- OR cut your fabric on the fold as marked below (how I would do it next time)
- Add a 10 - 15cm more at the bottom to your pattern piece
- OR cut a contrast strip and add later.. (like I've done - which was more trial and error, but I like the way its turned out)
- Sew up as you would a skirt & sew to your dungaree bodice :)
And the results:
As I mentioned above - I had to add a contrast strip to the bottom as it was slightly too short (I cut out for the same length as the shorts), which was a happy accident as I really like how it turned out and would do it again.. Next time though I would also make the back pockets slightly larger and place them lower down on the dress - I think they sit a little high on me in this version.
Thanks for visiting! I hope it was helpful! :)