Today I will share two - the first is the 'muslin' first try, which I made from some cheap $5 olive colour fabric I had (nothing special.. don't even know what its called.. some form of cotton mix?)I made it straight from the pattern to start with - and it was HUGE - and decided right then that I couldn't handle a straight tie waist and wanted to bring it in a lot and add elastic.
I've never been a huge fan of elastic waist bands - maybe because somehow they remind me of what my grandma might wear, and somehow I feel like they might cut my waist in two and be really uncomfy - but I have found the total opposite, with a nice wide elastic (like I've put in the second pair) they are really tummy supportive and comfy to wear and they look nice too! Bonus!
I brought in the legs quite a bit too .. maybe too much in the first pair? and made a slightly smaller cuff than shown in the pattern. I also made them shorter because I want to wear these in summer. As you can see in the photo above, the crotch needs to be a bit higher too! Its not sitting right.. ! I like the first pair enough - I really like the contrast fabric in the pockets and the cord at the top which is made from an old men's shirt - but honestly I don't love the fit or main fabric enough so I don't think I'll really wear them a lot. Gardening maybe?
The second pair however, I LOVE. I will wear them heaps - they are made from a cotton sateen which is impossibly comfy, and I made them two sizes smaller (or more) in the waist, and brought in the legs quite a bit too (curved in slightly to fit nicely at the knee), and again added a slightly wider waist band with full elastic all the way around. This time I just made a normal hem at the bottom.
I experimented a little with elastic types - and the type I have in this pair is the more expensive type, and I have to say it really makes a difference. I caved and bought some wide cheap elastic too for a different pair, and I slightly regret that. Buy the good stuff! It may be $5 more a metre, but totally worth it.
See below - I don't know a whole lot about elastic but the one at the top is the cheap version - much more pliable and has linear lines running down the length. The one at the bottom is the more expensive, and I think better, version and is much thicker. I hope you can see it from the photo.. its a little difficult to see!
You can see the back does an interesting little pocket thing at the top - not sure how to fix this, but I don't mind it too much - didn't even notice till I was looking through these photos! Other than that they fit perfectly! :) EDIT: I actually fixed this later by adding a small almost invisible dart on either side to take away the fabric.
Looking forward to sharing another pair or two with you soon - I made a shorts version too and will show you how I've done it! (really easy DIY). And a quick pic below with my mums native clematis... she insisted to take a photo next to it - but it does look beautiful!
Happy sewing & surfing this weekend! I'll be out first thing tomorrow so hopefully the surfs good.. can't wait!